CIÉ’s parent Department is the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport. CIÉ works closely with the Department to ensure their strategic objectives are met, namely:
Iarnród Éireann receives funding though a Infrastructure Multi Annual Contract directly from the Department of Transport Tourism and Sport
- the provision of a well-functioning, integrated public transport system
- the provision of high quality public transport at a reasonable cost to the customer and the taxpayer
- to ensure that all new developments when it comes to public transport or roads are carried out to improve Ireland's sustainability
- to ensure the timely and cost effective delivery of the Public Transport investment programme in line with the National Strategic Outcomes set out in the National Development Plan 2018-2027 and Project Ireland 2040.
The NTA strives to develop and implement key strategies that will ultimately provide high quality, accessible, sustainable transport connecting people in communities across Ireland. The CIÉ Group companies have entered into Direct Award Contracts with the NTA for the provision of uneconomic, socially necessary public transport services in Ireland. The CIÉ Group works closely with the NTA on a number of fronts given the NTA’s extensive role in public transport which includes
- Provision of integrated ticketing, fares and public transport information;
- Development of an integrated, accessible public transport network;
- Provision of provide bus infrastructure, fleet and cycling facilities;
- Development and implement a single public transport brand;
The School Transport Scheme supports transport to and from school for children who reside remote from their nearest school. The scheme is operated by Bus Éireann on behalf of the Department of Education and Skills.
Everyone aged 66 and over, legally resident and living permanently in the State, is entitled to the Free Travel Scheme. The scheme covers almost all of CIÉ services. Some people under 66 also qualify. If you qualify for free travel, you are issued with a card that you must carry with you when using public transport. The scheme is funded by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection.